Saturday, January 25, 2014

January 2014 Meeting Notes

We started the January meeting with Tolling the Boats lost in January, followed by birthday wishes for our members, introductions, and officer reports.

Old and New Business:
We had a quick Binnacle List update on the conditions of Robbie Robertson, Bob Haslan, and Admiral Horton Smith.

Replacement Banner - Jim Harper made a motion saying that the base should replace our current USSVI banner with one that says USSVI Seattle Base. Jim made this motion after noting that all the other area bases have the base name listed on their respective banners, while Seattle Base’s banner only says USSVI. There was some discussion about modifying the current banner instead of buying a new banner. The motion was tabled until the cost of replacing or modifying the banner can be determined. If you have some thoughts on this issue, be sure to come to the next meeting or contact one of the Base officers.

Base Bylaw Changes and Elections - We discussed the proposed changes to the Seattle Base bylaws and asked for nominations for Base officers. We then voted on the bylaw changes and slate of officers, approving all the changes and officers. One of the changes to the bylaws changes the officer terms (and voting) to a two year cycle, so the next election will be in 2016.
2014 - 2015 Seattle Base Officers (L to R) Jim Harper, Art Thompson, Bill Giese, Dick Gonzales, and Pat Householder
Base Officers for the next two years are:
  • Base Commander – Dick Gonzales 
  • Sr. Vice Commander – Art Thompson 
  • Jr. Vice Commander – Pat Householder 
  • Treasurer – Jim Harper 
  • Secretary – Bill Giese 

After the election, incoming Base Commander, Dick Gonzales, gave a few remarks about becoming Base Commander. He really wanted to encourage everyone to step up to help move the base forward. You can see the full text of his remarks at the end of this post.

Outgoing Base Commander, Doug Abramson, had some parting thoughts, including the origins behind several commonly used phrases.

The new base officers were then sworn in by John Mansfield.

Storekeeper Replacement - We are still looking for someone to take over the duties of the Base Storekeeper. If you think you might be interested in this position, please speak with Bill Giese.

Membership Dues - If you are on the annual membership plan, it is time to look at paying your dues. Please contact Jim Harper to pay your dues or if you have questions.

Meeting Time Changes - Our meeting attendance often drops during the winter months. An idea was brought up to think about shifting the weekday and times for winter meetings to a weekend afternoon. No decision has been made, but it is something for the base members to think about. If you would like to see a change in the meeting days or time, please contact a Base officer or one of the past Base Commanders.

Dick Gonzales Remarks
Before I begin, let me say that Doug and his predecessors have set the standard and the bar is high. Doug, we thank you for a job well done!

I joined this base in 2008 and during this period I enjoyed the many activities, ceremonies, and special events. I immediately noticed dedication, teamwork, and comradely, it is why I want to belong and to contribute.

One especially notable and impressive characteristic I observed was those that had previously served continue to do so today, I can’t name everyone but the list is long. But, let me mention a few such as Steve Shelton former Commander and his lovely wife Linda who support every event doing the hard stuff. Steve works behind the scenes to help make this work. Andrea, Lois, and Sam and his awesome Cadillac are very important to our base. Jim Harper is not only Base Treasurer but played a major roll in the reconstruction our float, Jim maintains, stores it at home, and tows it all of our main functions. Jim, also like Steve is a factor, we appreciate your service. Dutch, Keith, Bob Opple, Dave Schueler, Bill, John, and all of the officers up here tonight go above and beyond. We are also privileged to have an excellent resource and leader; Pat Householder who most would agree is the “Backbone of our Base.” And finally, our esteemed and honored WWII vets including an admiral who set an example us; They are truly a source of pride for this base. They help us to recognize and value our heritage as former US Submarine sailors.

At this point, I want to share some private thoughts I had when it was when it was suggested I assume the duties and leadership of this base. The first thing to go through my mind was, “Gee Whiz” I am to busy, I belong to a few other organizations that demand some of my time and the Museum of Flight. I am occupied with family and my kayaking friends, how can I do this?

I thought perhaps I might not measure up and finally, my head said baloney when I remembered the people I just mentioned and not only that they have stepped up, but they continue to do so!

Therefore tonight I accept the nomination and only ask you to continue to serve this base in whatever capacity you can and to make sure I don’t slip and fall in exercising my duties. I hope to make a difference.

As you know Tim Floersch our Base Vice Commander is stepping down. We need to fill his position I may take the opportunity to invite some of you mates to reconsider. I know you also want this base to succeed and to grow.

Thank you and lets get underway.

No comments:

Post a Comment